Re: Crazy II

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crazy II
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 07:50:01 -0400
Mark -

This is Allen again.  Apologies to Nevin, but I'm going to respectfully
dissagree...

 IF you're talking about a RUST-FREE body, and IF you really trust your
mechanic, you're talking about a rust-free MGB with a brand new engine,
clutch and carb(s) for $4,000.  Sounds pretty good to me.  And you'll know
exactly what you have.  If you did all the work yourself, you probably
could save over $1000.  The last time I rebuilt an engine, it seems I spent
$1200-1500 for parts, machine work & clutch.  You can buy a brand new set
of SUs for around $400 (I think...) If you can turn a wrench and have the
desire, you can rebuild an engine yourself.  It requires lots of care and
cleanliness, lots of time and patience,  and the sense to ask a question
any time you have a doubt about what you're doing.  It does not require
extreme skill. On the other hand, knowing the time and care it takes, if I
were a professional mechanic I don't think I'd do it for much less than
$3000.  These guys do have to earn a living.

 Others on the list have said you can DIY for "a couple hundred bucks", but
I think that is unrealistic.  You should expect to buy oversized pistons,
bearing shells, cam, lifters, cam bearings, pay a reputable machine shop to
chemically strip the block, deck it, rebore the cylinders, line bore,
machine the crank, correct ovalized connecting rod journals, fit the new
pistons to the con rods, skim the head and probably do a valve job., Also I
highly recommend balancing - although it is not strictly necessary.  You
might also need new ring gear and resurfacing on the flywheel.  This may
sound formidable but it's all done one step at a time, and surmounting the
formidable is a VERY satisfying experience. When you're done and hear your
own engine start for the first time... well it's nirvana.

This car does not sound bad.  How does it run as-is?  How's the oil
pressure?  How much oil does it use/leak?  Run the car for at least a
half-hour - does it still hold 50# pressure?  If so, despite low
compression, it will still run reliably for a long time.  (I say a
half-hour because I've seen Bs that hold excellent oil pressure even after
the temp gauge stabilizes at "normal" - but will lose oil pressure 10-20
minutes thereafter.)

Some others on the list have advocated originality: i.e. a Zenith carb.  I
respect that and I've never had any major difficulties with these, but if
you use twin SUs and earlier 8.7:1 CR pistons, you are not souping it up,
you're simply restoring the engine to it's earlier factory configuration
with improved performance and bulletproof SU reliability.  Of course in
some localities, this is not legally adviseable.

So you keep looking and find a car that is mechanically superior (maybe...
but you're never sure), but has a couple of rust holes in the sills...
maybe some paint bubbling up on the dog-legs or on the wheel arches.  Take
it to a restoration shop for an estimate.  You'll find you're better off
with this car!

Allen

From: dresden@tiac.net

>>I just got back from taking the 75 MGB to the mechanic for a pre-buy check.
>>He concurred with the list that I need to go back to the SU carbs.  He also
>>did a compression test and then a "wet" test which revealed an engine rebuild
>>was needed.  The compression results were 115, 85, 115, & 95.  He also said a
>>clutch replacement would be needed.  The price tag: $3,000.00.
>>I think I am going to continue my search for another car, what is your
>>opinion?
>>
>>Thanks, (for your patience with a newbie)
>>Mark Michael
>
> I think you can do better for the same money, unless of course you want to
>do the work on this one yourself, and that includes the engine rebuild. If
>you don't feel ready for that, then you're better off with another car. If
>you do feel ready, you'll have the help of the list.
>
>By the way, you are not crazy. But maybe there should be some method to
>your madness, and you can find the car that's right for you before shelling
>out.
>
>Good Luck, and I hope you have one soon.
>
>Nevin
>78 B

*        Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<                     *
*        Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs     *
*        New Castle, VA 24127                   *
*        USA                                    *
*        540/544-7333                           *