Let's try again

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Let's try again
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@netdoor.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:19:43 -0500
As a prelude, this was originally written last night.  The Dogs of Lucas
have now invaded my computer and set my outgoing mail to leave as HTML.  I
couldn't figuire out why I sent it three times and it never posted.  Go
figuire.....

I forgot who posted about the MG with the electric cooling fan, now returned
to the mechanical fan.  this spring, I made some 'performance' improvements
to my 'B.  I put in Bosch platinum plugs, high capacity wires, and some
bright yellow performane coil.  I also put my electric fan on, complete with
a switch that mounts in the top radiator hose.

I've been driving the MG more frequently, and have been concerned about the
temperature guage hanging out around 75% of the way to 'H'.  I've never
trusted the temp guage, though.  When I first got the car, being a college
kid and thinking my money could be better spent elsewhere, I put a rheostat
in between the sensor and guage.  I adjusted the rheostat using an optical
thermometer dad borrowed from work.  To be quite honest, I never actually
knew what my engine temp was.

Reading the post about changing back to the mechanical fan (was that you
Macy?), I thought I might better find out.  I installed a mechanical temp
guage in the upper radiator hose and went for a drive this evening.  My
conclusion mimics that of a long-forgotten poster who suggested the
following procedure:

1.  Using alcohol, carefully clean the glass face of the temp guage.
2.  With a razor, carefully cut a piece of duct tape the same diameter as
the temp guage.
3.  Place the circle of duct tape over the temp guage.
4.  Drive, she said.

Think about it, as much trouble as Lucas gives us, who knows what the guage
is telling you?  And what's with the 'C', 'N', and 'H' crap?  They should
have just put an idiot light in the dash.  The first comment passengers in
my car make is, "Boy, I'd hate to be in a wreck in this car."  That is
followed by, "What kind of guage is that?  (Or in the south Mississippi
dialect, "What's that there guage for?")  Excuse my rambling diatribe.

On the topic of Lucas, I managed to evacuate a copious amount of smoke from
the driving light circuit this evening.  I was replacing the bulbs and
thought I'd test it out.  Bad move.  The smoke was so thick and voluminous
that I managed to draw the neighborhood kids away from their bottle rockets
to see Lucas fireworks.  I was impressed a relay and 10 inches of wire could
hold so much smoke.  The neighborhood kids were disappointed the car didn't
go up in flames.  You can't win them all, I suppose.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB  (Puff, the Magic Dragon)
pokrefke@netdoor.com