Re: Let's try again

To: "Larry Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Let's try again
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@netdoor.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:01:11 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
To: Thomas James Pokrefke, III <pokrefke@netdoor.com>; MG List
<mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Wednesday, July 07, 1999 1:37 PM

>So what is your conclusion? The electric or the belt driven one? I am
>still contemplating going back the the electric or a new one. Biggest
>problem I had - no room between the nose of the pulley on the waterpump
>and the rad to maake it a "puller" design. I think that would help a lot.
>If I can make sure what temp the gauge is actually reading.

Larry:

I still have the electric fan on, and after a few days of city driving in
the 95+ heat and 90%+ humidity, I have decided to keep it.  The mechanical
temp guage never passes 210 (F) while driving.

I have the brand AutoZone sells, in the 12" model.  The first time I
installed it, I had it as a pusher, but it covered too much radiator.  I
moved the radiator forward 1/2", placing lug nuts from my 1977 Honda Civic
between the radiator and the diaphram.  This gave me the clearance to mount
the fan as a puller if offset to the passenger side.  No doubt, puller is
the way to go.

I also invested in the switch that mounts inside the top radiator house.
This is supplemented by a switch on the dash.  Originally, I had decided to
go with only the dash switch, but prudence won.  I could easily see myself
forgetting to pull it on and toasting a motor.

>From what I can tell (and it's not much), the fan seems to run nearly
constantly in city traffic.  Of course, Hattiesburg is noted for its stop
lights spaced at car-length intervals.  On the higway, it's anyone's guess.
I would think that at 70mph, enough air would be forced across the radiator
to keep it cool, but I don't know.

Finally, I put my auxillary radiator back on.  It's a heater core from an 84
Buick that I mounted under the radiator pan.  It's plumbed in place of the
standard heater, and provides marginal cooling.  I really don't think the MG
was designed for the oppressive, earth-baking heat of Mississippi.

Of course, none of this is original, but then again, neither was my car when
I purchased it.  YMMV.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB
pokrefke@netdoor.com