Re: Steering wheel removal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering wheel removal
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:49:20 -0400
I learned a slight variant of Dave's first step - grabbing the wheel at 3
and 9 - rocking it (simultaneously pull at 3 while pushing at 9, and then
vice-versa). Don't be afraid to get aggressive with it.  The guy who taught
it to me has never known it to fail, and I haven't either.

2¢...

Allen

>From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
>
>Hi Edwin,
>
>You get the #@&&^^&@&%**@ of like this...
>
>Pull out the centre pad
>Undo the centre nut but leave it on a couple of threads
>Sit in the driving seat and, with the heels of your hands, hit the wheel
>rim sharply towards yourself alternately at 9 o' clock and 3 o' clock.
>
>This should drum the wheel centre off the splines. If it doesn't, get a
>bolw and an old towel to catch the excess and slowly pour a kettle full
>of boiling water over the centre boss. Then, repeat the three steps
>above.
>If this doesn't work (unlikely not to), you need a puller.
>
>Note: if you don't leave the centre nut on loosely, the wheel could pop
>off and do some not very cosmetic dentistry.
>
>Good Luck !
>
>Dave Hill
>UK
>

>Edwin Vaughan wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> How do I get the #@$$^@&$@&%**@ steering wheel off!
>>
>> Edwin
>> '77 B
>>
>>   ________________________________________
>>  /                                        \
>>  |  "I try to think but nuthin' happens"  |
>>  |      -- Curly Howard (the stooge)      |
>>  |         The MG Filling Station         |
>>  |     http://www.auburn.edu/~vaughme     |

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         New Castle, VA 24127