Re: How hot is too hot?

To: "Charles F. Inman" <floydinman@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: How hot is too hot?
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 19:52:47 -0700
Floyd,

     A couple of things that you may consider :

'Water Wetter' is just a trade name for the wetting agent that is present in
(probably all) antifreeze products.  Even in the unpressurized cooling system of
a TD, a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water will go quite a ways above 212F before
it will boil. It's much safer than straight water.

You're probably talking about the Arnolt type of heater plumbing, where the
hose/pipes are in the bypass loop.  Please remember that, if the thermostat is
closed, the water still has to circulate through the block.  The standard TD
thermostat is designed to close off the bypass when the thermostat opening
temperature is reached.

If anything, the TD is somewhat overcooled.  If yours is running hot,  there's
probably an obstruction in the system someplace.

Bud Krueger
52TD
77MGB