Re: MGF in America?

To: JustBrits@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGF in America?
From: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:53:04 -0600 (MDT)
I think that there would be a market for them here.  Why do you think that
there wouldn't.  The Miata filled a gap in the market here and it has been
quite popular, with the introduction of the Honda S2000 I think we will
see an even bigger market for these cars. On the higher end we now have
the Z3 the Mercedes CLK, Audi TT roadster and others.  I don't see any
reason why the MG can't do just as well.  I don't have any idea how much
they will cost if they ever get here, but if they can keep the price
reasonable, even going as high as the Mercedes I think that there will be
a demand for them.  I think that there are enough people in the USA that
love MG and have the money for a car like that.  If the price can get down
somewhere between the Miata and the more exotic roadsters I think that it
could be immensly popular.  I realize that the MGF is out of this price
range, based on what I have seen in British mags, but maybe the next
generation will make it.  I just saw some pictures of the BMW Z8 in Road
and Track and it is amazing how much it is styled off of the MG (the nose
especially).  I would bet that if that look goes over well here, that we
may see a new MG in this country yet.  If the rumors are 2003, the Z8
would be a great way of testing the USA's reaction.  I can't imagine how a
company such as BMW could ignore the past popularity of the MG and our
love of roadsters forever, surely they realize that there is a market for
MG.  I know that I am being somewhat optimistic, but I think that these
cars need to get back into this country.

James Nazarian
Anxiously awaiting a new MG