Re: MGF in America?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGF in America?
From: "Mark the Shark" <markie@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 23:19:40 -0400
One other point that Rover brings up about the MGF not being exported to
America is the lack of a production facility.  The MGF was designed and
produced as a specialty car with Mayflower building the body shells.
According to Rover Mayflower does not have the ability to mass produce these
cars so even if you could meet safety and emissions standards there would be
no way to meet the demand of the US market.  It was designed from the get go
to be a small niche market car. Rover certainly couldn't justify a retool
this late in the game.

I'm quite sure the MGF will never be exported here but for all the banter I
think the car has served its purpose well.  It has kept the MG name alive
and created a whole new market of younger MG owners and enthusiasts.   Will
MG ever make it back to the states?  Perhaps, but if it does we will be the
ones exporting them to the UK.  Can you imagine Cecil Kimber talking with a
worker building a MG who has a South Carolina accent!

1972 MGB Roadster
1981 TR8 DHC FI