Re: MGF in America?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGF in America?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 22:31:55 -0700
I don't know, but I always understood that it was a budget issue. For the
amount of money available to make the project a reality, they couldn't
afford to meet US requirements. They were afraid if they asked for twice
as much money, the project would have been cancelled. And with the amount
of integration in modern auto design, there is no way to retrofit
crushability and rollover protection into a body shell once it is in
production (without a complete reinvestment in CAE and tooling, that is).
BMW may have the money, but they probably see no reason to throw it at an
older design. But I'm fairly confident we'll see some kind of new MG
sports car out of them in the next few years. One Rover official was
quoted as saying that it would only make sense for any future MG sports
cars to take advantage of the marque's traditional largest market. Heck,
they can build it in North Carolina...

My 2¢...

John A. Walker had this to say:

--