Re: Problem with my MG...

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Problem with my MG...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:40:53 -0800
Oh dear. I am afraid that that is precisely the symptom of main bearing
damage. At least that is how mine manifested itself. Clunking or knocking
sound, rapidly growing louder, until performance was significantly
reduced. In my case one of the main bearing caps was cracked through, so
I just found another engine; but it is possible to do just the bearings
(not the bores or the head), if the condition of the rest of the engine
is acceptable.

Sorry this had to happen to your new purchase. I had suspected mine had
some such problem due to the low price, and wasn't surprised when it
showed up. Good luck.

Robert Haigney had this to say:

--

Max Heim