Re: Problem with my MG...

To: Robert Haigney <Robert.Haigney@anixter.com>
Subject: Re: Problem with my MG...
From: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 18:09:31 -0500
Bob,

How many miles on the engine? 60-70K miles or some multiple of that will almost
definitely spell rebuild time.
Warm the engine ever so gently, then drain the oil and inspect it for bronze
metal
flakes, or for that matter, any other kind of metal flakes. If there is any
amount
of metallic sediment sinking to the bottom of a jar or pan, you can bet it is a
worn out bearing that is responsible. The noises you hear are very likely then
connecting rod knock. Avoid running the engine at all. Once the first bearing
shell
is flattened the engine will lose all oil pressure and is subject to major
destruction if something breaks. If nothing has been broken, the rebuild will be
simple and inexpensive. On the other hand, if one were not as smart as you, and
did
not shut the engine down NOW, you just would not believe the extent of the
damage
that can result.

A leisurely rebuild starting now will make a nice winter project that will be
completed well before spring. Besides with all the bored listers mulling about,
you'll get loads of e-mail help.

Jim