Re: Problem with my MG...

To: Robert Haigney <Robert.Haigney@anixter.com>
Subject: Re: Problem with my MG...
From: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 15:14:15 -0500
Robert,

Good for you!!! Glad to hear you have made the decision to DIY. Never mind that
you
may save some $$$, but you'll get a great sense of satisfaction when you start
it
up and drive off anew!

>From my experiences, the bearing that failed is the #3 Connecting Rod bearing
(counting from front to rear). Don't know why, but they always do. If any
bearing
has turned to powder, then you MUST change them all and the main bearings too
because of the way the oil passages are routed from journal to journal. (That
was a
sort of silly thing I just said, 'cause you can only buy them in sets of 4.) It
may
not be necessary at all to change the cam bearings. Many good auto parts stores
have a machine shop in house with prices for each individual task such as
replacing
the camshaft bearings, or grinding & polishing the crankshaft. It is important
have the crankshaft measured carefully for wear, and grind & polish to fit the
next
size bearing. Costs about $150: bearings are available from Moss Motors and
others
on the list. Haynes or Clymer's shop manuals will walk you through the rebuild
and
have all the torque specs you'll need, plus there's a bunch of MG nuts out here,
both near and far, just dying to help you each step of the way.

Good luck,

Jim