Re: Midget Stereo - I Have TUNES!!!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget Stereo - I Have TUNES!!!
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:04:38 -0400
Here comes my pet peeve. :^)  When I grew up, cars didnt have "stereos", or
"sound systems" or "audio", they had RADIOs.  These RADIOs had TWO (count
'em) KNOBs ("off-on-volume, and "tuning").  OK, some deluxe RADIOs had
collars on the KNOBs for "tone" and "fade" from the front to the rear
speaker.  The loudest sound the RADIO made was the hum of the vibrator (no,
not something kinky - in the pretransistor days, the vibrator created
pulsed "AC" current).

But alas, my point is that these RADIOs could be operated *entirely* by
feel.  Yes they had dials, but we never looked at them.  We turned the
"tuning" KNOB until we heard our station, while our eyes remained on the
road where they belonged.

IMHO, most modern sound systems with their multiplicity of functions and
buttons are just as hazardous as cell phones and headphones (illegal where
I live).  Does anybody make "automotive audio"  that is operable by feel
only?  My '76 B currently has a feature called "BLANKING PLATE".

Allen

>From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
>
>Frank Clarici wrote:
>>
>> Great job Larry. I have one question though.
>> Does this new stereo have knobs? Like a knob to turn it on/off?
>> The CD player my kids put in the A40 drives me nuts! No knobs!
>> How does one turn on/off a modern stereo? Or should I say, how does one
>> lower the volumn? I start pushing buttons and the whole front falls off.
>> Man do I miss my 8 track player.

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333