Re: Midget Stereo - I Have TUNES!!!

To: "Florrie & Allen Bachelder" <bachldrs@swva.net>,
Subject: Re: Midget Stereo - I Have TUNES!!!
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:36:25 -0500
Well FYI
The Pioneer KEH-1080 unit that I bought has a knob for the volume on the
left side of the front. It is in a location that falls naturally to hand
by just moving the right hande from the shift knob over towards the kne.
I have had the radio for 2 days and can hit the volume w/o looking
everytime. Also the tuning buttons are at the same level and at least the
first three are easy to hit. the others are behind the shifter. Buts OK
there are only 2 stations in the Philly area that play Zappa all day long.

Larry

"Have you guessed me yet?" FZ

At this exact moment in time 1/11/00 9:04 AM, bachldrs@swva.net made the
profound statement:

>Here comes my pet peeve. :^)  When I grew up, cars didnt have "stereos", or
>"sound systems" or "audio", they had RADIOs.  These RADIOs had TWO (count
>'em) KNOBs ("off-on-volume, and "tuning").  OK, some deluxe RADIOs had
>collars on the KNOBs for "tone" and "fade" from the front to the rear
>speaker.  The loudest sound the RADIO made was the hum of the vibrator (no,
>not something kinky - in the pretransistor days, the vibrator created
>pulsed "AC" current).
>
>But alas, my point is that these RADIOs could be operated *entirely* by
>feel.  Yes they had dials, but we never looked at them.  We turned the
>"tuning" KNOB until we heard our station, while our eyes remained on the
>road where they belonged.
>
>IMHO, most modern sound systems with their multiplicity of functions and
>buttons are just as hazardous as cell phones and headphones (illegal where
>I live).  Does anybody make "automotive audio"  that is operable by feel
>only?  My '76 B currently has a feature called "BLANKING PLATE".
>
>Allen
>
>>From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
>>
>>Frank Clarici wrote:
>>>
>>> Great job Larry. I have one question though.
>>> Does this new stereo have knobs? Like a knob to turn it on/off?
>>> The CD player my kids put in the A40 drives me nuts! No knobs!
>>> How does one turn on/off a modern stereo? Or should I say, how does one
>>> lower the volumn? I start pushing buttons and the whole front falls off.
>>> Man do I miss my 8 track player.

>        Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
>        Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
>        49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
>        New Castle, VA 24127
>        USA
>        540/544-7333

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.