RE: In search of Better Brakes...

To: "'Tab Julius'" <tab@penworks.com>
Subject: RE: In search of Better Brakes...
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:07:30 -0700
Tab:

        You have power brakes already.  The servo that Michael was talking
about is an earlier power brake unit that mounted remotely from the pedal
assembly.  When dual brakes came out, the servo was mounted between the
brake pedal and the master.

        Part of the brake problem you may think you have is the squishiness
(technical term) that the brake servo gives the later MGB brakes.  The
brakes work just as well, but require less pressure and feel a bit more
"remote" (another technical term).  The MGB either early or late has pretty
good brakes compared to anything on the road.  The servo setup that you have
when in good nick should provide excellent braking limited only by the
stickyness of the tires.  Rear wheel lock up tends to be the limiting factor
to MGB braking.

        Make sure that you have the rear brakes adjusted correctly.  Most of
the time these are loose, causing poor braking.  See the manual for
adjustment procedure.  For regular street driving, standard pads and rotors
work fine.

Kelvin.