Re: In search of Better Brakes...

To: "MG List" <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: In search of Better Brakes...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:18:07 -0700
Excuse me, but why would vented rotors be of help in wet weather? I
believe you are thinking of cross-drilled rotors. Vented rotors consist
of two solid disks separated by radial vanes, which in motion direct
cooling air across the back of the braking surfaces (looking at the edge
of the disk you woud see that it is thicker than usual and has
rectangular openings around the circumference). This serves to reduce
brake fade by cooling the rotors more quickly. This extra cooling would
not be of any help in wet weather. Sometimes vented or solid rotors are
cross-drilled (round holes are drilled in a symmetrical pattern at right
angles to the braking surface, giving a "swiss cheese" appearance to the
rotor). This actually removes braking surface, but adds even more cooling
surface, and has the additional effect of giving any water on the disk an
additional outlet. I have heard that it may also give the brake shoes an
"edge" to bite on, leading to shorter stopping distances, but I am not
sure of this.

Tab Julius had this to say:

--

Max Heim