Re: OD Lube

To: "Stuart MacMillan" <macmillan@home.com>
Subject: Re: OD Lube
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 18:52:20 -0600 (MDT)
Yeah,  I'm afraid I am going to go with the list, neighbor,
manufacturer, manuals and guy who rebuilt my tranny.  (My neighbor
tried the MT-90 in his, he said it took about 3 miles @ 35-40mph to
dis-enguage after he flipped the switch.  He has since gone to 20W-50
and is very happy)

I agree with your thoughts on using the HD over the ND.  Someone on the
list (IIRC) suggested the ND, but my other tranny with the HD shifted
beautifully, I am hoping that a little breaking it, with the detergent
will bring this one inline with that one.

The oil bottle recommends using ND for old engines that burn/leak a lot
of oil or for non-critical gas engines (whatever that means.)  I guess
the thinking is the engine is shot anyway and this stuff is cheaper to
keep dumping in.

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:15:27 -0700, Stuart MacMillan wrote:

>I see I have failed to convince you of the superiority of Red Line MTL,
>Bill and I can argue this one at the ABFM on Saturday, but I know there
>is no point in doing that.  If I had a spare OD tranny lying around
>(that I had personally rebuilt) I'd give it to him with MT-90 in it to
>try in his next race!
>
>If you choose to run motor oil for some crazy reason in your daily
>driver, run the HD type.  Non-detergent oils are for purposes other than
>putting in engines (or transmissions, I feel), like in oil cans for
>lubricating your bike chain, or you could use ND 20 in your SU
>dashpots.  I have used ND 30 oil in newly rebuilt engines for the first
>500 miles, its inferior lubrication qualities are supposed to help the
>rings seat, but I don't know that it really makes any difference.
>
>The detergent in HD oils is for suspending the particles generated by
>combustion and preventing the formation of sludge in engines.  BUT, oils
>that meet the current SAE standards are not only all HD, but have
>additive packages for anti foaming, corrosion resistance, and pressure
>breakdown prevention that the basic ND oils may not have.  The detergent
>won't hurt anything in the tranny, and you are getting a better additive
>package with a modern HD oil.
>
>I'll bet you will get easier shifting too, but not as easy as with Red
>Line MTL! ;-)
>
>--
>Stuart MacMillan
>Seattle