RE: My 80 B possibly totalled ins. Qs

To: "'Christopher W. Reichle'" <creichle@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: My 80 B possibly totalled ins. Qs
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:03:03 -0700
Chris:

        First off.  Find out from someone that knows your state's DMV laws
what you face if the car is totalled by the insurance company.  In many
states a "salvage title" is issued if the car is officially totaled and it
is often difficult to re-register the car after this.

        Second.  Be firm and communicate your requirements clearly to your
agent and the claims adjuster.  If your requirements are clear and
reasonable, you will have a lot better chance of getting things resolved.

        Third.  As previously stated, get the car under your roof.  You will
have much more leverage if you have control of the car.  No matter what the
outcome, you will want the wreck from the sound of your post.  Chances are
this will slow down the process, as storage charges will no longer be
looming over the adjuster.

        Fourth.  Prepare to be a pain in the neck for the adjuster over a
long time period.  The adjuster has to come to an agreement.  The longer you
can afford to draw out the process, the more likely you are to get your way.
The adjuster will want this off their desk as soon as possible. They will
make you an offer.  It will not be what you want.  You will refuse the
offer, and offer a counter with as much documentation as you can muster.
This will take time.

        Fifth.  Be realistic.  An insurance company is responsible for the
fair value of an automobile, not for your memories.  A daily driver 80 MGB
does not have a very high value on the open market.  You will have to
provide documentation to show why this car is worth more than most.
Realistically you will want to get out of this with enough cash to buy a
used drivable 80 MGB and the wreck of your old car.  You will not be able to
replace the car you had.

        My background was being rear ended in my beatup 65 MGB.  Damage
repair was estimated as $4500.00.  A scrap yard offered to buy the wreck for
$200.  I was offered $2000 which was the valuation that the company came up
with and I could buy back the car with a salvage title for $200.

        I produced documentation for a replacement value of $10,000.  Alloy
wheels, trick suspension, interior, engine etc.

        I informed the adjuster that no matter what, I was going to restore
the car and would be prepared to accept the $4500 estimate in cash and
assume responsibility for the repair.  I also stated that I would not accept
a salvage title.

        The adjuster now had my documentation on their desk showing the car
was worth more than book.  And a cash counter offer that would close the
case without further liability.  It's a lot easier to say yes to a close
ended case.  They can sign it off and breath easier that it wasn't a Lexus.

        The process took 3 weeks.  I ended up with $4500 and what was left
of my car.  The car is now in the process of being reshelled.  I had about
$7000 in the car and billions of man hours.  Most of the dollar value of the
car is salvagable.  The time is written off as enjoyment.

good luck

Kelvin.