Re: My 80 B possibly totalled ins. Qs

To: doddk@mossmotors.com
Subject: Re: My 80 B possibly totalled ins. Qs
From: JustBrits@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:00:23 EDT
In a message dated 08/23/2000 2:09:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
doddk@mossmotors.com writes:

<snip>
<< offer a counter with as much documentation as you can muster.
 This will take time.>>

Shouldn't.  IF you keep receipts AND labor logs, Kelvin.

<<  Fifth.  Be realistic.  An insurance company is responsible for the
 fair value of an automobile, not for your memories. >>

Absolutly.  'Course means you are not properly insuring the car.

<< A daily driver 80 MGB
 does not have a very high value on the open market.  You will have to
 provide documentation to show why this car is worth more than most.
 Realistically you will want to get out of this with enough cash to buy a
 used drivable 80 MGB and the wreck of your old car.  You will not be able to
 replace the car you had.>>

Yep and Yep.

<<My background was being rear ended in my beatup 65 MGB.  Damage
 repair was estimated as $4500.00.  A scrap yard offered to buy the wreck for
 $200.  I was offered $2000 which was the valuation that the company came up
 with and I could buy back the car with a salvage title for $200.>>

Again, "properly insured".

 << I produced documentation for a replacement value of $10,000.  Alloy
 wheels, trick suspension, interior, engine etc.

    I informed the adjuster that no matter what, I was going to restore
 the car and would be prepared to accept the $4500 estimate in cash and
 assume responsibility for the repair.  I also stated that I would not accept
 a salvage title.>>

Agreed.

<snip>

<<  The time is written off as enjoyment.  >>

WRONG, and this is EXACTLY the sitution which proves my point.  Had you also
had labor costs addable to parts costs and insured the car properly there
would have been NO QUESTION.

Rather have a Check for $10,000.00 and a $200.00 car than a check for $
2500.00 and a $200.00 car.

Cheers..........

           Ed

PS:  I "think" my "math logic" is correct. <G>!!