Re: Interesting comparison of B's and TR4's

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Interesting comparison of B's and TR4's
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:53:14 -0500
Summary of thread thus far... beginning with comments by "Tom"

> I was watching Speedvision tonight, and the owner of Checkered Flag from
> Florida did a bit on comparing the late 60's MGB and Triumph TR-4. It was
> fairly brief, but the emphasis appeared to be on the Triumph, with the
> owner saying the TR-4's are rarer, and command a premium over MGB's.
> With a white TR-4 and a black MGB parked side by side, I was incredulous.
> I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but as far as looks are
concerned,
> the TR-4 does not hold a candle to the B. The Triumph that was featured
had
> tired looking aftermarket alloys, while the B had perfect wire wheels. Go
> figure.

Firstly, Chequered Flag Int'l. is in Marina Del Ray, California... and they
aren't as clueless there as the list has made it seem.  Again, as echoed
elsewhere styling is relative to one's own likings.  I much prefer the
Michelotti bodied TRs to the MGBs.  Given that for any particular big TR
model you're dealing with a production figure of about (or less) than 1/5 of
what the MGB was produced in.  So they are more rare.  Do they command a
price premium?  Yes, not only in resale value of cars but in parts as
well...  I would find it difficult to believe any MGB owner would pay $1500+
for an MGB hardtop... while it is VERY common for TR4/A/250 owners to pay
that for a used surrey top.  Tired looking aftermarket alloys sounds like
the perfect description for old magnesium American Racing Silverstone wheels
for the TR range... again, elusive and sought after.

I have never classed an MGB with any of the 1962-1976 TR range.  When the MG
had krinkle finish for it's dash the TRs had lovely wood facias...  when the
MG went to through their plastic dashes, the TR's still had wood.  I've
always fancied the TR seats more than the MG seats... early TR6 highback
seats are just wonderful.  From 1965 on most of the TRs had IRS (until the
TR7, which well is not much of a Triumph at all... Marina rear axle, uh
no!).  There is a reason why Group 44 only raced one MGB... while they had
numerous TRs over years.  And if you look over the stats, you'll find the
TRs did much better overall.  (and yes, I know Group 44's roots are in
Triumphs... but the point is the MGB need a lot of development to become a
winning race car, just ask Larry Widmer).

To me the TR range never looked dated.  While the MGB and Midget carried out
it's production with basic cosmetic overhauls, Triumph recognised the need
for a fresh face every now and then... even if some of the underpinnings
remainded the same old stuff (well integrated IMHO, so hardly noticeable).
It takes a keen eye to tell that a TR6 is not a totally different car from a
TR250.  From the exterior bodywork it is almost undetectable.  Ah, I suppose
that is one of the benefits of contracting out your styling rather than
having Don Hayter or some other drafter at Abingdon do it.

Rick Lindsay wrote,

> As for whether this list prefers the MGB over the TR4, Duh!  That's
> like going over to the Ferrari list and expounding the virtues of a new
> Carrera 4!  (Read: ...just put your neck in the noose.)

Agreed, it is almost nearly pointless for me even to send this reply.

Allen Hefner wrote,

> (Hey Gary, how about a British Car Magazine TV show?!?  You could get
> Barney to host it!)

I'm sorry, but I think Barney is worthy of working for a much more superior
publication if he would choose to.  British Car Magazine, is hardly worth
the toilet paper it is printed on.  And while we're talking about spotty
information, should I go through Dec/Jan issue of BCM and make a list?
(that article on the home built MGB supercharger is a FINE example).

Michael Lupynec wrote,

> The "expert" said the Triumph had Strombergs and claimed that the only non
> original part was the overpolished dashpots, so I have to presume the
> chrome valve cover was a factory finish.

Right, the chrome valve covers are pretty much a trademark of the TR range
up until 1970 (okay late 1969).

Hmm... time to take my medicine.

Kai

--