Starter questions....

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter questions....
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 21:32:49 -0600 (MDT)
I brought my car home today from the body shop.  Ahhh, that felt good.
Now I need to finish up all of the things I was doing before the
accident, as well as re-install my bumper, put a new windshield on, and
maybe the dash I have hanging in the garage.

For my questions however:

I have two starters.  Both have problems.  On the first one it will not
always engage.  I hit the key, there is an audible click, but the
starter does not turn over.  If I multiple time, sooner or later it
will engage and start right up.  On this one, I am thinking the
solenoid is probably shot.

Since I had another that worked fine when I pulled it, I slapped that
on.  Now, it rattles horribly, spins the engine, but not quite fast
enough to start it.  If I watch the fan while cranking it, I can see it
crawl around, and even stopping at one point, then picking up again,
ticking loudly all the while.  I known the sound is coming from the
starter, as I used the broom stick to the ear to make sure.  I don't
know what is wrong with this one now...

I had to push once today.  It starts as soon as I pop the clutch, even
moving slowly.

Am I correct in thinking that the solenoid is bad on the first one, and
that I can pull that from the second one to make one good starter?
Then I can get the second rebuilt when I get the chance and have my
spare back again...

Thanks!

Happy with my little problems again.  I need to check my compression,
and get my shiney new pertronix setup, but you can't do either of those
without a starter.  :(

--
Andrew Lundgren
lundgren@byu.net