Re: Starter questions....

To: Gonaj@aol.com, Ajhsys@aol.com, lundgren@byu.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter questions....
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 11:22:47 EDT
In a message dated 5/2/01 10:28:49 AM, Gonaj@aol.com writes:

<<
> If you hear the solenoid click when you turn the key, the solenoid is
> probably OK.

Or maybe not.  The solenoid also makes electrical contact to the starter, if
the high current contacts inside the solenoid are bad it will pull in but may
only occasionally make electrically so that the starter motor runs.

I just went through this and if you hear a click, that means your RELAY is
OK.  I traced the juice down through the relay and main sure it was getting
down to the solenoid, and it was.  Then, the acid test is, with the ignition
on but the distributor-coil wire removed to prevent starting, bridge the hot
post of the solenoid with that of the starter, and watch the big spark
arc...Use a thick metal thing for this, and insulate yourself. However, if
the starter does turn, the problem is the solenoid.  If it doesn't turn, it
is the starter.

 In the end, though, this is largely a moot point which is bad because it is
just as easy to replace both--they come as a pair.  The price difference is
rather small of doing just the solenoid.

Jay Donoghue
72B
72B-GT (with a new starter/solenoid)
66 Mustang