Re: Starter questions....

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Subject: Re: Starter questions....
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 21:53:29 -0600
Since I did something similar, I think its quite plausible. First, take the
solenoid off the first starter (the one with the audible click). You will
see how it comes apart plus you can inspect it. When I did mine, I could
see some noticeable wear on one side of the inner piston showing that it
was not making smooth travel.

Then having figured out how it comes apart, it will be quite easy to remove
the good solenoid from the other starter and switch them out (or switch
certain parts out). It seems like there was a trick or two in positioning
the spring but you should have that figured out, like I said, if you tinker
with the bad one first. But overall, its quite a simple process.

David Councill
67 BGT

At 09:32 PM 5/1/01 -0600, you wrote:
>For my questions however:
>
>I have two starters.  Both have problems.  On the first one it will not
>always engage.  I hit the key, there is an audible click, but the
>starter does not turn over.  If I multiple time, sooner or later it
>will engage and start right up.  On this one, I am thinking the
>solenoid is probably shot.
>
>Since I had another that worked fine when I pulled it, I slapped that
>on.  Now, it rattles horribly, spins the engine, but not quite fast
>enough to start it.  If I watch the fan while cranking it, I can see it
>crawl around, and even stopping at one point, then picking up again,
>ticking loudly all the while.  I known the sound is coming from the
>starter, as I used the broom stick to the ear to make sure.  I don't
>know what is wrong with this one now...
>
>I had to push once today.  It starts as soon as I pop the clutch, even
>moving slowly.
>
>Am I correct in thinking that the solenoid is bad on the first one, and
>that I can pull that from the second one to make one good starter?
>Then I can get the second rebuilt when I get the chance and have my
>spare back again...

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list