Which tire for my MG?

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Which tire for my MG?
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:17:11 -0500
I've been using Dunlop D40A2's on my '66 for the last 3 years.  They have
been excellent in all weather - sticky in dry & wet with good traction in
snow.  Yes, I drive in snow here in Connecticut with my MGB.  It is my daily
driver.  I just bought tires from Tire Rack because the Dunlops (185/65x14)
were too small diameter compared to my Dunlop race tires. (22.9" vs. 25")
As a result, I was bottoming out over too many bumps & driveways aprons.
This is due to being lowered for racing.

I bought 185/70 x 14 Yokohama Avid T4's because I use stock 4.5 inch wide 14
in. wire wheels and needed something that had a height similar to the race
tires, and had at least decent handling for year-round driving.  I now have
snow tires on the rear, but the Avids on front.  At 26 lbs. pressure, they
give a nice ride, at 30 lbs., it's harsh.  Drove I-95 in the rain tonight.
No problems with traction at 65mph.  My only objection so far is a bit of
softness on "turn-in" with the lower pressure.  I suspect they will not be
as sticky as the old Dunlops.  But, I no longer bottom out over small
undulations in the pavement or on the entrance to my driveway.  It's another
compromise I make driving a multi-purpose car.

BTW, their cost from Tire Rack was $40 each vs. $69 from my local tire shop.
My Saab repair shop mounted & balanced them for $10 per tire. (The local
tire shop charges $14 each.)

I could have gone to 195/70's, but chose not to for a mere 0.3 inch
difference in height.  Section width was still less than on the race tires.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB - daily driver, occasional vintage racer

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///