Re: loose bonnet

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: loose bonnet
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 23:43:33 +1030
michelle pountney wrote:

> However after hitting the odd bump on the road ( not
> an uncommon thing here in Australia) the bonnet opened, thankfuly catching
> on the safety catch. The question is why????The catch spring seems quite
> tight as does the one on the bonnet itself. When its closed there is no play
> between the bonnet and the frame. Its an interesting one I'm hoping you
> gurus can answer..

Michelle,

As one who has had the bonnet try very hard to beat me over the head
(and an aluminimum bonnet is very, very expensive let me tell you) you
can bet that I am still a little twitchy when it comes to that big flap
of metal.

I, too, had been suffering the same problem as you - but these times are
less serious because it DOES stop on the secondary catch (still not fun
when it 'pops' at 70mph) and I also have a metal 'guy wire' loop which
will catch it if it tries to go any further.  This last item is required
for our competition events but I am happy to leave it in place at all times.

I looked on my website but I can't find any pictures of my immediate
solution - racing tape holding the thing down.  I used this after a
nightmare road trip to a racing weekend interstate (Michelle will know
where Winton Raceway is) - a nine hour drive from Adelaide with the
bonnet 'popping' up sometimes every twenty minutes, despite my efforts
to adjust and tighten the centre catch 'pole' (the bit that sticks down
into the catch).  No adjustment up or down would work... so racing tape
it was, simply for peace of mind more than anything.

The solution.... check that centre pole!  You will probably find that it
is bent slightly one way or the other - off centre.  It doesn't have to
be much.  Unless it is perpendicular it seems not to want to hold fast -
give it a few gentle taps with a mallet to bring it back to
perpendicular and see how that works.  It worked for me.

The weather here is getting perfect for driving so none of need these
little annoyances to spoil our fun.

Good luck

--
Eric