Re: tie rods and gaiters

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tie rods and gaiters
From: "Harlan Jillson" <harlanjillson@covad.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:02:26 -0600
> I need to replace the gaiters (rack seals) on a 79B.

Monty,
   Easy.  Get a tool called a pitman arm seperator.  Looks kind of like a
big fork with two splines, and a really thick handle.  Normal tie rod end
splitters won't work because the parts are too small and they don't fit.
The pitman arm seperator slides in between the tie rod end and the casting
it attaches to.  Loosen the nut and slide the fort in and smack it with a
BIG hammer.  Done deal.  This will screw up the seals on the tie rod ends,
but you were going to replace those anyway, it's only $16 a pair for new
ends.  The hole operation took about 30 minutes last weekend for me, of
course it was another 30 to pull the radiator (not strickly required, but
easier) and re-fill the rack through the shim cover, and replace the
radiator.
Good luck,
Harlan

///