RE: tie rods and gaiters

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, "'MonteMorris'" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: RE: tie rods and gaiters
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:35:04 -0700
Peter, makes an interesting point.  Frankly I've never tried, or even
heard of, the "squeeze the hole" technique.  But his comments made me
check out the Moss web site.  I would recommend that everyone check it
out www.mossmotors.com (no I don't work there).  They have a technical
section for MGBs.  For some reason they require you to register to
access it, no fees (must be collecting email addresses ... Hey some
people collect LBCs, so why not...).  They actually have two articles
which discribe at least 4 methods of removing tie rod ends.

Larry Hoy

Loosen and
> remove the nut. Looking at the hole from the top have one hammer (or
other
> dead weight) at 9 o'clock and strike smartly with another hammer at 3
> o'clock. This will shock and squeeze the hole and the tapered shaft
will
> easily pop out. This works every time and saves the boots and threads.

> Depending on the application, it is not always necessary to have the
dead
> weight if you can get a swing at the side of the hole opposite the
axis of
> the arm. (poor description, sorry)

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list