tie rods and gaiters

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: tie rods and gaiters
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:28:38 -0800
I need to replace the gaiters (rack seals) on a 79B. According to the Moss
catalog removal instructions, I need a tie rod end separator or two hammers to
get the tie rod end off the steering arm ( I'm assuming the steering arm is
the same thing as the steering lever). The catalog attempts to explain (I'm
sure it DOES explain to someone who knows what they are doing :-) how to
remove the tie rod end using these two hammers but I'm not understanding very
well (after all I'm a biology teacher and a tie rod is not LIVING!). Do you
put pressure downward on the steering lever with a big hammer and then tap
the tie rod upward with another hammer? The Haynes nor the Bently manual
explains this very well either and I don't want to damage the tie rod or the
tie rod end boot since all I want to do is replace the rack boots.  Should I
need to order any other parts in advance? The steering seems to be tight.
Monte Morris 79B and 74 1/2 B parts
Kahoka, MO USA

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list