Re: tie rods and gaiters

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tie rods and gaiters
From: "james" <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:31:42 -0700
you have the right idea, apply pressure down on the steering arm and hit the
tie rod bolt up.  If you want to reuse the rodends you should only slacken
the nut holding the rodend to the steering arm and hit it.  this way you
will avoid damaging the threads for later; just loosen it until it is flush
with the end of the bolt.  The hole through the steering arm is tapered as
is the bolt in the rodend so all you need to do is break these two tapers
apart (easier said then done sometimes).  This isn't usually a very
difficult job.

It is also a good idea to mark the locknut and the tierod in some way so
that you can get the alignment back to where it was.  A paint marker or a
scribe both work well for this.

james