Re: [Partial OT] Snotty Pinafarina owners

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Partial OT] Snotty Pinafarina owners
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:11:02 -0700
Hey, an Alfa isn't an LBC <g>.

You may not have noticed, but there's a hierarchy in these things. I recall
a R&T humorous essay on the subject back in the heyday (mid/late 60s). it
was about how higher-ranking vehicle owners (Jaguar, Maserati) could
initiate waves to lesser individuals (MG, FIAT), but if a peasant initiated
the wave to the nobility, he risked being snubbed. This was all
tongue-in-cheek, BTW, but there was a grain of truth to it.

In these days, owners of luxury sports cars (XK8s, Boxsters) are generally
ignorant of this entire tradition, and I don't waste any time trying to
establish bonhomie...

{just for the record... it's "Alfa" Romeo... originally an acronym...
"A.L.F.A." ....nothing to do with the Greek letter "alpha". A common error.
Also "Pininfarina".. . after "Pinin" (a nickname) Farina, the founder)

--

Max Heim