RE: [Partial OT] Snotty Pinafarina owners

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Partial OT] Snotty Pinafarina owners
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:00:28 -0400
I don't know what part of the country you reside in Tab but I believe that
it depends on where you live as to how people react to special interest cars
like ours. I live in the big city (Atlanta metro area - 4,000,000 + people)
and I get a lot of what you wrote about here. There has been a time or two
that even an LBC person was rude to me. It's just life in the big city,
aggressive driving, hustling to and from work and too caught up in their
material worlds. I often wish that I could get away from it. I am CERTAIN
that smaller towns are NOT like this. Atlanta didn't used to be like this
but since we've been "discovered" everybody from the north, the rust belt
and even the middle and far east have moved here! There are not many natives
like myself remaining. Southern hospitality? HA!! Not any more around here.
A thing of the past.

I have occasion in my work to visit and do business in smaller surrounding
towns 50-75 miles outside of Atlanta, and ALWAYS, without fail, the people
are so much nicer and more polite. When I take my MG on a drive to the
country or the mountains (lots of both nearby) everyone looks, waives and
flatters me with questions and comments about my LBC. I get "some" of that
here in the city too, but not near as much as when I'm out and away from the
city.

Us native Atlantan's have a saying, "The state of Georgia has two
distinctive population areas. There's Atlanta and then there's the rest of
Georgia" (Georgia is 8,000,000 people, with half living in metro Atlanta).

As far as Italians and Pinafarinas go, what the Hell do they have to be
stuck up about in the first place???!!! The only crappier built cars than
Italian cars (except for maybe the Ferrari) are Polish, namely the Yugo!
Don't get me wrong. I love the Italian and Polish people. I just don't like
the way they build their cars. I used to work on Alphas for a living and I
know more than I want to about Fiats too. Let me tell you that they ARE,
generally speaking, poorly built and unreliable, even when well maintained,
no matter what designer name emblem that one might hang on it.

I like cats and I'm not snotty - - but I don't drive an Italian car either!

My $.02 worth anyhow.

Flames welcome!

-Jerry Erbesfield
73 B Black Beauty roadster