Re: Steering rack fluid

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering rack fluid
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:38:48 -0800
It does tighten the rack, but IME it doesn't really do anything to solve the
problem of a worn rack. The reason is that the wear is concentrated in the
middle of the rack. With the steering centered, you might find that removing
two shims tightens the rack up nicely; but then when you try full lock, the
steering effort becomes enormous, or the rack jams up entirely. I suppose
the real solution would be an eccentric pinion, but only in a perverse sort
of way...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149