Re: Fast and Furious

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fast and Furious
From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 11:19:01 -0500
So, what are you if you work a 40 hour week in a blue collar job (as a
grocery bagger or anything else) and sink all your money into your MG or
Triumph?  You are probably most of us on this list at one time or another.
 Come one guys.  Lighten up.  I'm not directing this specifically at you,
Kai, so please don't take offense.  You made a number of very good points
about the importance of understanding the mechanics of cars.  I don't
disagree with that at all.   But lets cut these kids some slack.   What
they don't understand about cars now because they are just getting into
the "ricer" hobby (and they are young and stupid as we all were once!),
they may learn as they get more involved with their cars.  Hell, isn't
that what most of us did?   I remember being in high school in the 70's
driving around in my buddy's Ford Torino with the 351 Cleveland that was
so detuned from the factory that it was probably making no more than 160
HP or so.  It could barely get out of its own way.  But that didn't stop
us from putting glass packs, a set of Crager mags (jacked up in the back,
of course!) and a chrome air cleaner on it.  So then it just became a
loud, annoying car that still couldn't get out of its own way, but we
thought it was cool.  And so did the girls!  Or so we imagined!  ;-)

Point is, the kids that are just adding the fart cans and giant wings to
their Civics now, may get more interested in real performance improvements
as they spend more time in their hobby and with their cars.  And then some
day, they will be middle aged, crabby old guys like us griping about the
next generation of kids who don't understand the real mechanics of their
flying cars or whatever the next big thing may be.

Cheers,
Greg Hutmacher
68 MGB/GT
76 TR6