Brake Problem Solved - Help, What did I do wrong?

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Problem Solved - Help, What did I do wrong?
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:09:13 -0000
My brakes are back in business. I put the old brake shoes back on (the ones
with the extra thick linings), and now my handbrake kicks in right away, and
my pedal is high and firm. After comparing the old and new parts, I believe
the lack of handbrake had nothing to do with the ID of the brake drum, or
the thickness of the linings. The new shoes are an eighth inch longer on one
end. This was causing the cylinder to hold the shoe ends apart, instead of
the handbrake lever (in the resting position). This left an eighth inch gap
in the slot the lever goes in. It took a whole inch of cable pull to close
this gap before the shoes would start to move. With the old shoes there is
no gap, the shoes start to move as soon as you pull on the handbrake.

So which shoes are right, the old or the new? They clearly don't have the
same dimensions. My old shoes have markings indicating that they are
original shoes that have been relined. Next time I buy brake shoes, I'm
going to look for re-manufactured ones.

BTW, what ever happened to rivets? I can remember buying just the linings,
and riveting them to the old shoes. How long have manufactures been using
glue?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470