Re: Brake Problem Solved - Help, What did I do wrong?

To: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Problem Solved - Help, What did I do wrong?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:30:42 +0100
Your new shoes do appear to be different, but whether the old ones were
incorrect and things had been 'adjusted' to suit making the correct ones a
poor fit, or whether the new shoes are incorrect, is a moot point.

If the new shoes are longer then the footbrake should be OK even if the
handbrake isn't.  If you can get to that situation then you can sort the
handbrake out by 'adjusting' the operating levers by welding up and filing
out the groove the shoes ride in.  What you are looking for is for the arm
that the cable connects to to be parallel to the back plate when the
handbrake is on.  That way you will get maximum leverage and hence braking
force.  If the lever is too far off parallel the force from the cable is
reduced.  Once you get that right you can set the adjustment at the handle
end of the handbrake to give the correct number of clicks.  I like to have
the first click giving no drag so I can be sure there is none when the
handle is right down, braking effect coming in with the second and
subsequent clicks.

PaulH.