Re: ZS to HIF

To: MonteMorris <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: Re: ZS to HIF
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 07:54:33 -0500
MonteMorris wrote:
> I got the HIF's mostly all connected and plumbed tonight, but of course have
> more questions:-):
> (HIF's and all related hardware off  a 74 parts car. They are going onto a
> desmogged 79B)
>
> 1. the 74's instruction plate by the radiator says: time to 11 degrees BTDC
> at 1500 RPM and gap plugs at .025. The 79 is timed about 18-20 degrees BTDC,
> .035 plug gaps, and has a points dizzy in it. What settings should I try now
> and should I use the dizzy out of the parts car, or keep the one that's in
> the 79 (45D, I believe).

If you have a 45D4 with points in the '79 already, I'd use that, if what
I read is correct. It's probably pretty close to the same that's on the
'74.

The '74 may have a 25D4. But those are no long available and the 45D is
a replacement part for them. I'd guess that the one you are using is
newer than the one on the '74. Since it is obviously a replacement for
the original CEI dizzy from the '79.

Not sure on the timing. I don't remember where I have mine set. The
vacuum would come from the manifold with the HIF's and the lat

> 2. I rerouted the heater hose (with metal tube) downward between the
> manifold and the heat shield. Will this cause any problems, or should I put
> it back up by the valve cover?

How much to you have hooked up? I tried to use the original (with ZS)
pipe underneath, but it got in the way. So I just used a hose. I'm
thinking about getting a pipe from a '74 or before.

> 3. On the Chicagoland MG site,  I read to use the old alloy back plates off
> the 74's air cleaners to put inside the oval foam air cleaners (#223-220,
> pp. 7) so you can use the Unisyn easily without removing the air cleaners. I
> can see you must bore out the mounting holes on the back plate so the bolt
> heads will be flush, but what type of mounting bolt (head) would you use?

Barney covered this. I haven't got around to it yet. But using hex head
bolts definitely get in the way. So I will.

Paul.

--
    ______
   /    _ \   Paul T. Root <proot@iaces.com>