Re: Petrol pricing (was Re: Something broke)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Petrol pricing (was Re: Something broke)
From: "R. Martin Rogovein" <rmort@bezeqint.net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 22:47:44 +0200
I pay 5 shekel/litre for 96 octane (about 89 american) LEADED gas.
(supposedly Israel is finally phasing leaded out this year, but we'll
probably postpone, as it has been 'about to be phased out' for at least 4 or
5 years now).
Comes out to about $4.20/US gallon.
Gas has hovered pretty close to the $1/liter level here for at least 5-6
years with no major changes - the shekel/dollar rate is pretty volatile, but
gas seems to follow it fairly closely.

> The reason gas is relatively inexpensive in the US is because we own guns.
> If lawmakers raised the taxes on fuel as high as they are in Europe,
they'd
> be shot.

No lack of guns in this part of the world, but most of ours seem to be aimed
'out' rather than 'in'.

Just leave it to us Jews to grab the only piece of desert in the whole
Middle East without oil reserves, and then go and make enemies out of all
our neighbors.  ;-)

RMort
70 roadster
Tel Aviv.

For years it has been my belief that the ideal US
president for Middle East peace would be one who had
the ethics of a Carter, the popularity of a Reagan, and
the strategic audacity of a Nixon.  Alas, we have a
president who has the ethics of a Nixon, the popularity
of a Carter and the intellectual agility of a Reagan.

--Afif Safieh, Palestinian General Delegate to the UK and the Holy See.