Re: Question about MGA and changing ground

To: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Subject: Re: Question about MGA and changing ground
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:52:26 US/Mountain
Looked at your car's pictures.  I think you have some bigger things to
worry about.  I am not familiar with the GM alternator conversion, BUT -
to put in a late MGB alternator with an internal regulator is simple.
Moss sells a bracket that will fit the back of the alternator (for $17).
The front will fit the water pump housing and the standard distancing
bracket.  Since the MGA had a cable driven tach, you don't need to convert
there (but you need to make sure your Magnette engine has the same set-
up).  Starter/solenoid don't need any change for polarity.  Fuel pump may
need a change - but you can get a cheap fuel pump at your local parts
store - just ask for low pressure, moderate volume - they'll probably say
it's a purolator pump or a facet pump.  For wiring, it is simple, but if
you want to use the standard regulator in place (for appearance) you can
by simply using the right connections.  Search the web (there's a british
website about doing this), and ask Larry Hoy (he has done it).  There are
also several websites for the GM or a bosch conversion - Mounting is the
same as for any MGB with a generator, so include MGB as well when you
search.

Phil Bates

> I'm looking for advice on changing the MGA from positive to negative
> ground.
>
> The engine is an MG Magnette 1500.
>
> I assume all lights and such are okay the way they are now (+ ground).
>
> My main questions are these:
>
> Will the starter and solenoid need to be changed?
>
> I would like to add an alternator to replace the generator. I have
> heard there is a conversion that allows the addition of a General
> Motors alternator with internal voltage regulation. Any idea where to
> obtain the brackets for this application and what alternator to use?
> Also, what wiring changes will be necessary?
>
> Any other changes necessary or suggested?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> http://www.theluggage.net/MGAwork01.jpg
>
> http://www.theluggage.net/MGAwork03.jpg
>
> -Rock