RE: Tube shocks on MGC

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Tube shocks on MGC
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:57:36 -0800
Bill:

I agree that Armstrong lever arms are quite suitable for regular use,
and I would recommend them to most owners.  But in the real world a
correctly valved, modern high quality tube shock is going to give far
superior performance.

Stiff is fine on a race car, and I'm quite happy with the uprated lever
arms on the front of my race B too, but the factory installed adjustable
shocks on the rear of the works cars for a good reason.  Being able to
tune the suspension for different driving makes all the difference,
particularily with the cart spring suspension on the back of our cars.

I'm probably going to be in the same boat as you, with my MGC GT and MGB
V8, as I have off the shelf big bore exhaust systems that will probably
not clear a tube shock.  But I have used a number of different tube
shocks over the years on my cars.  I've also recently had some pretty
interesting experiences test driving different shocks on our MGB and can
absolutely state that the right tube shock can make an incredible
difference.  My old Pro Rally skills got put to use as I made part of
the test drive a high speed run across a building site.  Some may
cringe, but a stock spring B has a pretty good suspension travel, and if
you can use all of it the ride and handling become amazing.  These cars
were, and are used for International Rallying and damped correctly the
suspension can really shine.

Kelvin.

Btw.  I have the 7/8 front bar, but am having to put some savings aside
for the Koni shocks.