RE: Tube shocks on MGC

To: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>, "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>,
Subject: RE: Tube shocks on MGC
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:24:13 -0800
Paul et al:

I've been thinking about this issue a lot before posting.  I know that
the single bolt rear conversion has been on your website and the other
places on the internet for some time, and I've no doubt that there are a
lot of installations running around without a problem.  I know that
Lawrie Alexander used this set up on his super B that he built and did
not have any reservations.  I am not so sure, and this is why.

The original rear shock mounting bolt holes are sleeved through the
frame rails and I have no doubt that each single mounting point would
have adequate strength to be used as a shock mount under normal use.  My
concern is with wear and damage to these locations from either loose
mountings or shock absorbers with the incorrect compression or extension
length.  If you check out a typical US parts store, one of the items
they sell on one of the "HELP" fast moving boards is a replacement shock
mounting stud, as these studs are often damaged.  Tube shock mounting
points can and do fail!  The forces involved can be extremely great and
it is very likely that without careful inspection of the mountings
damage could result to the frame which would be very difficult to repair
correctly.

For this reason when I built my first rear conversion kit (not having
any money to buy an off the shelf one) I ended up using these studs on
welded plates to ensure that there was no likelihood of damage.  This
conversion lived through my extreme driving phase during which I managed
to wear out, break and otherwise damage many other suspension
components.  I still believe that when doing this type of shock
conversion it is better to have a mounting plate with stud that can be
replaced if necessary, rather than risking damage to the frame.

My two bits.

Kelvin.

What cars other than MG's use more than one shock
bolt at each end?   :-)    (rhetorical question of course)

Stop and think about it.... even big ass 2 ton pickups
still only use one bolt at each end.

My MGBGT installation has never loosened up, banged,
bumped, or caused any problems.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com