Re: Tube shocks on MGC

To: doddk@mossmotors.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tube shocks on MGC
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:51:13 EST
In a message dated 17/11/2004 2:58:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
doddk@mossmotors.com writes:

Stiff is fine on a race car, and I'm quite happy with the uprated  lever
arms on the front of my race B too, but the factory installed  adjustable
shocks on the rear of the works cars for a good reason.   Being able to
tune the suspension for different driving makes all the  difference,
particularily with the cart spring suspension on the back of  our cars.

____________________________________

Agreed, Kelvin

Turning an adjusting knob is a lot easier than revalving a shock. Mind  you,
on a race car, once you have it set for the tracks you run at, you don't  need
to touch the settings.

Bad part of the old adjustable lever shocks was the leak that almost  always
appeared around the adjusting knob. I played with these on a Triumph  TRS Le
Mans car, and while they are neat, I wouldn't want to have to deal with  them
long term (24 hours sounds just about right).

I'm not sure if many on this group will know about this, but Armstrong  also
produced a limited number of remote adjustable telescopic shocks. They
installed Adjustarides in some early Jensens, for instance, with an electric
control under the dash and little stepper motors to turn the adjuster at the
shock.
Never worked very well, as after the first flush of playing with them  in a
new car, no one much bothered with them and the adjusters inevitably  seized up.

Bill