Re: Under bonnet temp

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Under bonnet temp
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:10:15 -0800
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions... Some cars have fiberglass bonnets,
yes, but are they as close to the engine and manifolds as the MGB bonnet?
And are their engine compartments as restricted ventilation-wise?

I can get a fiberglass hood for my 1967 Barracuda, but there must be a foot
of air space between the cylinder heads and the underside of the hood, and
it has a full-width insulation pad. Not to mention a relatively enormous
amount of room for air circulation.

I think you would have to assume at least 200 degree temps for the underside
of the bonnet. But if it's really a concern, an empirical test is in order.
--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149