Re: Under bonnet temp

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Under bonnet temp
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:32:59 -0600
Max Heim wrote:

> I wouldn't jump to any conclusions... Some cars have fiberglass bonnets,
> yes, but are they as close to the engine and manifolds as the MGB bonnet?
> And are their engine compartments as restricted ventilation-wise?
>
> I can get a fiberglass hood for my 1967 Barracuda, but there must be a foot
> of air space between the cylinder heads and the underside of the hood, and
> it has a full-width insulation pad. Not to mention a relatively enormous
> amount of room for air circulation.
>
> I think you would have to assume at least 200 degree temps for the underside
> of the bonnet. But if it's really a concern, an empirical test is in order.

The Victor has a lot less space under the bonnet than a B does and it
has the MGB power train and a fiberglass bonnet. I have driven the car
long distances when the ambient temps were over 110 f. with no sign of
any sort of damage.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/