Re: [Mgs] Coolant draining on an MGB

To: "Dan DiBiase" <dan.dibiase@gmail.com>, <wkilleffer@epbfi.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Coolant draining on an MGB
From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 08:28:49 +0100 Z17/QZJhWuyESo87CcVRfTSBZfP8yNU+CsDvPDF57Dug7Hh/YkH4xTv1RsrF1vDYCCEKeMN+FaRrygwNSBHvykL+1RnL0MaS9WrrfTcDTRUE/kxQyXeqic74
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net

--===============0652541832852181866==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0027_01D50641.3A636110"

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01D50641.3A636110
        charset="utf-8"

Even if you remove the radiator altogether the block is still half full =
of old coolant, and removing the water pump doesn't get much more out.  =
Remember the original poster was asking how to get the bad coolant out.  =
Having a drain point on the rad is convenient for a simple drain and =
refill, but that's all.

You can drain a roadster cleanly without that by shoving a piece of card =
under the hose and past the cross-member over a bowl, slacken the hose =
clip and push it right back, then push a blunt screwdriver up between =
hose and rad port.  It only trickles out, but I leave it to do that =
while I get on with the next phase of the job.

I'd be surprised if the later engines didn't have the drain plug =
(replaced the tap a long time before that) below and to the right of the =
oil gauge connection, but try as I might with stiff wire I didn't get =
any more than a rusty dampness below it.  Frequently clogged with =
casting sand, some have had to 'chisel' it out with rods after removing =
the head.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  On my '76B, with '77 engine, there is no drain valve. You have to pull =
the lowest radiator hose off the water pump to drain the coolant. It's a =
mess. Need a really wide pan on the ground underneath, and even then it =
tends to run along the front crossmember and steering rack and make a =
mess.
------=_NextPart_000_0027_01D50641.3A636110
        charset="utf-8"

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Even if you remove the radiator altogether the block =
is still=20
half full of old coolant, and removing the water pump doesn't get much =
more=20
out.&nbsp; Remember the original poster was asking how to get the bad =
coolant=20
out.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT size=3D2>Having a drain point on the rad is =
convenient for=20
a simple drain and refill, but that's all.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You can drain a roadster cleanly without that by =
shoving a=20
piece of card under the hose and past the cross-member over a bowl, =
slacken the=20
hose clip and push it right back, then push a blunt screwdriver up =
between hose=20
and rad port.&nbsp; It only trickles out, but I leave it to&nbsp;do that =
while I=20
get on with the next phase of the job.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'd be surprised if the later engines didn't have =
the drain=20
plug (replaced the tap a long time before that) below and to the right =
of the=20
oil gauge connection, but try as I might with stiff wire I didn't get =
any more=20
than a rusty dampness below it.&nbsp; Frequently clogged with casting =
sand, some=20
have had to 'chisel' it out with rods after removing the =
head.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr>On my '76B, with '77 engine, there is no drain valve. =
You have to=20
  pull the lowest radiator hose off the water pump to drain the coolant. =
It's a=20
  mess. Need a really wide pan on the ground underneath, and even then =
it tends=20
  to run along the front crossmember and steering rack and make a=20
mess.</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>