Re: Morgan Kingpins

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Morgan Kingpins
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 00:12:53, -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

Sorry for the delay in response
had a computer crash and I' been off line for the past week.

The damper blades were not fitted to three wheelers I believe because
the large wheels, light weight, and low speeds did not result in front
wheel shimmy.
As the spindle moves up the kingpin over a bump, the spring will have a
twisting motion, this is relayed to the spindle and results in a slight
turning of the wheel.  If this occurs at a certain speed. it sets up a
harmonic (?)  bounce which becomes a violent shimmy. This usually
occurs at between 55 and 65 mph. The damper blade is bolted to a bronze
plate fitted between the spring and spindle and  via the blade, is held
fast to the chassis. Thus the spring can rub on the bronze plate and
move but the plate is held still and none of the springs motion is
transferred to the spindle.
Since the spindle moves up and down the length of the blade can ont be
fixed. The blade held to the chassis by being sandwiched between two
flat bars so that it can move in and out. At each end of the approx 1 "
by 4" bars are shims which are the same thickness and material as the
blade. these are pressed up to the blade and the bolt  hold them tight
so the can not move fore or aft.
                                                    |____    |
                                   __________|_o_| <Shim
                                  Blade         |      |
                                 ______Bar> | ___|_
                                                     |_o_|
   Both the shims and blade wear since the blade rubs on the shim
everytime the wheel moves up or down.  To test for wear  grab the blade
and push forward and back. If a click or movement can be heard or felt
the shims need to be pushed tight against the blades..
There should be free movement in and out ( from the center line of the
car, but no movement otherwise.
I check mine every time I grease the car, and adjust the slack out .

Re the Seals, I' ve read of people trying this . Never heard the
results.  Another theory is that what causes the wear is dirt getting
between the bush  and kingpin. Knew one guy who made gatters to cover
the lower spring to keep the dirt out .
Me ?  I bought a reamer and made up a tool to easily remove (
relatively speaking)  the bushes.   ( I call it my Clinton tool) .

Bob Nogueira