Re: Re[2]: Morgan Kingpins

To: Steve_Manwell@WE-KNOW-ENERGY.XENERGY.COM, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Morgan Kingpins
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 19:53:59 -0400
At 04:17 PM 7/16/96 EST, Steve Manwell wrote:

> I've also read of a suggestion (I think by Greg Solow) to have the
> king pins hardened or chrome plated, and centerless ground, then
> hone (rather than ream) the bushings -- this is supposed to last
> much longer (90,000 mi?).  Has anyone tried anything like this?

For what it's worth, I got the following bit of advice from John
Shealley III.

" Don't use the oiler! "

According to him, the factory had done awau with the system.  It
supposedly washes away more of the grease than it really helps.

John S. says "He loads the void between the bushings with lithium
grease and when he greases the front end, he uses the lithium grease"

He hasn't said anything about having the kingpins hardened or chrome
plated but he did say something about the honing.  The secret is to
almost have a force fit, **no slop**.  Once there is any slop the
pushings start to wear very fast.  He has know people to get about
5,000 mi to the bushings because they were reamed with too much
clearence to start with.

He also swares to get somewhere in the neighbor hood of 75,000 to
90,000 mi to the bushings.

Don't know that I beleive him, but .......

--------------------------------

George Gerth also wanted info on sources for DAMPENER BLADES

Isis is one source.

Bob Couch at Morgan Spares         or
Penny at Old World Restorations

are 2 other good sources.  Both of these are on the East Coast.

For addresses and more vendors check the Morgan tech pages on the
SOL tech page:  http://www.team.net/sol/tech/

john

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!