Re: Tubular rear shocks and Negative Camber Plates

To: TrmpetDave@aol.com, Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tubular rear shocks and Negative Camber Plates
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@tag.csiro.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 08:38:48 +1000
If you can't feel the difference with the telescopic conversion you must be
blessed with very smooth roads!! I have found that most of the more
infamous characteristics of the Morgan ride (we've all heard the one about
knowing if the coin you drove over was heads or tails) can be addressed
with some attention to the rear suspension. Most of this has recently been
discussed on this list but telescopic shocks and making sure the rear
spings are not bound up with dirt and rust head the list. If you want to
get fancy then panhard and/or radius rods also improve things but are only
really worthwhile if the car is driven hard.

On this note I have heard various recommendations on how often to replace
the front AND rear springs. The most frequent was 20,000 miles for the
front (about every 2nd time you do a rebush). The front springs are
remarkably inexpensive so this may not be a big deal. I'm even less sure
about how often the rear spring should need resetting or replacing. Any
ideas out there?

Cheers

Steve Moore

>In a message dated 12/10/98 1:04:48 PM, mogman@rpa.net writes:
>
>>I think I may have mentioned this in a previous posting, but never saw
>>much follow up on it. Im considering replacing the lever arm shocks at
>>the rear of my Mog with a tubular shock conversion. The car is only
>>driven on the street (and not even that lately).
>I recently had the Ruttter tubular conversion kit put on my 71 +8, and in the
>ordinary sort of commuting I do, have noticed no improvement. Unless you do
>very spirited cornering, or racing, I would say stick with the levers.

Please Note new Phone and Fax numbers

Dr. Stephen Moore
Livestock Improvement Program

CSIRO Tropical Agriculture