Re: Tubular rear shocks and Negative Camber Plates

To: "Bob Tescione" <mogman@rpa.net>, <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Tubular rear shocks and Negative Camber Plates
From: "Greg Solow" <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 00:57:11 -0800
On my 1964 +4 which drive on the street and also race,  I use the standard
lever
shocks which have been stiffened up by adjusting the valving and by changing
the
fluid to Castrol R  40 SAE oil.  Except on the roughest race tracks, they
provide all the damping that is needed, in my opinion.  All of the shock
conversions that I have seen make access to servicing the battery  more
difficult as well as not really
having any benifit that I have been able to dicern.  The weakest point in  a
Morgan frame is just under the rear axle.  I would certainly not want to cut
any part of the frame in that area.  The best thing that I have found to do
for the rear suspension of any Morgan is to thoroughly lubricate the leaves
of the rear springs and to stiffen the rear shocks ..  This will have the
effect of softening the ride over small bumps and preventing bottoming over
large bumps.
                                                    Regards, Greg Solow