RE: WINTER MOTORING

To: "'HOOGLY@aol.com'" <HOOGLY@aol.com>
Subject: RE: WINTER MOTORING
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 21:30:18 -0500
John,
> It was a beautiful day in Ohio today. 17 degrees F ( minus 8 C for our
> English
> friends). I may have established a new world record for open air motoring
> in a
> car without a heater.  Can anyone beat that?

The answer is a qualified "yes."  My thesis advisor at Penn State used to
drive his TR2 (this was in the sixties) with the top down.  I outdid him
once on a cold Pennsylvania winter day by driving my +4 with the top down
and the windshield folded down.  Not for long, mind you. As for the heater,
it was academic.

I seem to recall that one of the guys (Hermann ?) in the Peking-to-Paris
"tour de force" drove his car in China with the top down last year and came
down with pneumonia or something like that.  So, there is a limit to
everything.

Still, I envy you a bit. My +4 has been laid up for longer than I care to
admit, waiting for the kids to leave home (three down, one to go) and for
retirement to give me some time.  I you want a challenge, drive across the
prairies in winter.  Yesterday morning it was -30 C (which, if my mental
arithmetic is correct, is 22 below zero F)

Have a joyous Christmas and happy motoring (top up or down) in 1999.

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4
Pinawa, MB