Re: WINTER MOTORING

To: HOOGLY@aol.com
Subject: Re: WINTER MOTORING
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 15:22:06 -0600
Hey John,

My RHD '66 Plus 4 Four Seater has a (supposedly) stock "window blind"
mounted upside down in front of the radiator. Pull a ring on the
dashboard, the blind rises, airflow to the radiator is blocked, the
engine warms up very quickly indeed. Only semi-frozen this morning?
Simple enough... just pull the ring out half-way, thus raising the blind
half-way, thus....

This device has NEVER been used in the 19 years I have owned the car
though I have raised and lowered the blind a few times to demonstrate to
interested folks. Now looks like the blind itself is shot so I shall
replace it this winter whilst doing other stuff to the cooling system.
Doubt that I will ever need to raise the blind but it is a mega-cool
feature.

Maybe your car lacks this feature because it was made for the US market?
Maybe it was an option?

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA

>> I have found through trial and error that the quickest way to get the engine
warmed up and stay at a normal temperature is to blank off the oil
cooler and
cover the bottom half of the radiator grill with cardboard.  Not very
elegant
but it seems to work.  Does anyone know of a grill cover or muff
designed for
this job?  I seem to remember such a thing being available in England
back in
the 50's and 60's.  Maybe Simmonds could design something.
John Rogers
65 +4 <<

'66 Plus 4. '65 Tiger MKI, '67 Alpine SV