Re: Over heating

To: "Ed Herman" <edherman@concentric.net>,
Subject: Re: Over heating
From: "Greg Solow" <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 21:58:28 -0700
We can supply a duct panel that seals the area between the grill and the
radiator so that all of the air that passes in  through the grill must go
through the radiator rather than under or aroung it, which it would much
rather do as it is the path of least resistance.  We have also installed an
air dam undeer the radiator on the stamping that is the "frame front".  The
combination of the two definitly help the cooling.  Of course it is also
necessary to make certain that the radiator and water jackets are clean and
clear.  We have also seen original radiators, ussually 20 years old or more,
that were completely clean, looked in perfect shape , and yet would not cool
a car.   I have experienced this on a Morris Minor , a Jaguar E Type, and
around 5 or 6 Morgans.  I believe that somethiing happens to the solder bond
between the tubes and the fins so that heat will not transfer from the tubes
to the fins and hence to the air.
    We havre used heavy duty recores to solve that problem. Although, just a
word to the wise, we once had a brand new core that also would not cool.
    A Morgan radiator must drop the coolant temp. about 10 degrees as the
coolant passes through the radiator  when the car is going about 60 mph
cruise on level ground in 4'th gear to keep the car running the proper
temperature.
                                            Regards, Greg Solow